If you have an addiction, you know how difficult it is to kick it. You may struggle with work, school, and the urges you have while you try to quit. How do you increase your chance of success and overcome your addiction? Here are ways you can increase your odds of success:
1. Get a Buddy
Recruit someone else who is also struggling with an addiction or seek out a support group. Having someone around that will hold you accountable will help you fight the urge to pick your addiction back up. A friend or support group will also talk you down on really bad days and will even give you tips and insights into your addiction that you may not find otherwise.
2. Develop a New Reward System
Many people become addicted to substances because those substances activate reward centers in the brain. You should try and find new, healthy ways of activating these same reward centers. Here are ideas to get you started:
- Start a daily exercise routine.
- Start a hobby that activates reward centers through completion. Examples include painting, writing, or knitting.
- Try an exciting activity like rock climbing, skydiving, or parasailing.
3. Set a Goal for Your Sober Self
Set a goal for your sober self, one that you wouldn't be able to achieve as long as you're using. A goal that you wouldn't otherwise be able to accomplish gives you the motivation you need to stick to your recovery and get through tough days. Here are some goals you can shoot for:
- Go back to school and earn a 2 year or 4 year degree
- Lose weight or set a fitness goal like running a 5k
- Get a promotion at work or get a higher paying job
- Start a family
- Buy a home
- Pay off debt or build your savings account
4. Go to an Addiction Outpatient Facility
An addiction outpatient service gives you access to professional help and services you may need to overcome your addiction without putting your life on hold. Unlike inpatient services, you don't need to check in and stay for days. You will still be able to work, go to school, and go about your everyday life. Here is a list of services you can expect at an outpatient addiction center:
- Support Groups
- Connections to services from other organizations and resources
These are methods you can utilize to increase your chances of success and overcome your addiction. Contact a counselor or intake specialist at an addiction outpatient facility, such as Ember Lodge, for more information.